Community Support Worker -- Part Time
We are looking for a personal support worker from the Goth community to accompany our adult daughter to “alternative” events in the community once or twice a month or as needed.
Duties include: Preparation for event, accompanying to event working on safety, social skills & budgeting.
Criminal record check is required. A competitive salary is offered.
Due to severe asthma and allergies applicants with animals/pets need not apply.
Candidates must have a recent police.
Applicants with a vehicle , drivers licence, applicable insurance, CPR and First Aid will have priority.
Please forward resumes to S. Harvey at email@example.com
Inclusion Support Worker
Reporting directly to family, the Inclusion Support Worker is responsible for providing personal support to my brother who has a developmental delay – Down syndrome. To enable him to be a valued, contributing member of the community. Guided by the goals and objectives determined in collaboration and consultation with family and the individual, the Inclusion Support Worker will support and be responsible for supporting the development of skills and competencies that will assist my brother to pursue and fulfill his goals and aspirations. Similarly, the Inclusion Support Worker will be responsible for liaising with a variety of community entities (employers, clubs, recreational groups) to support those entities in their efforts to engage.
Hours: part-time 21.5 hours/week
- Connecting to Community
- Assist family and individual to identify places in the community where an individual can connect around a common area of interest i.e. recreational clubs, volunteer interests, associations
- When necessary be the conduit between the community group and individual to facilitate the individual’s meaningful participation
- Provide support to the individual to enable them to attend, participate and be part of the community group(s)
- Meal Preparation and Personal Care
- Prepare meals and promote healthy eating i.e., preparation of pureed gluten free meals
- Personal care as required i.e., bathing, shaving, dressing, laundry only for the individual and assisting with cleaning of the individuals personal area i.e., his room.
- Communication: Build strong and respectful relationships with the individual and their family. Communicate in a professional manner.
- Confidentiality: maintain confidentiality at all times
- Interaction: Interact in a non-intrusive, image enhancing and age appropriate manner.
- Safety: Be aware of the individuals physical, social and recreational environments, and taking action to minimize risks and maximize inclusion
- Documentation: maintain accurate time sheets and any other documentation as required by the family
- Advocate: assist the individual to advocate on his/her own behalf, advocate on behalf of the person when necessary
Qualifications and Requirements:
- A steadfast belief and commitment to inclusion, the right for all people to belong, participate and contribute to the community.
- The ability to work independently in unstructured environments and to employ effective time management skills
- The ability to think outside the box and develop ideas around employment and activities
- Coaching skills – knowledge of and ability to demonstrate and support the development of skills as they relate to managing a home, social and work life.
- Knowledge of community resources available to support the persons participation and inclusion within their community
- A valid Class 5 driver’s license; access to a reliable vehicle and applicable insurance
- First Aid and CPR certification
- Police Checks – Criminal Record/Security Clearance in the Vulnerable Sector
An industry competitive salary is offered. The successful candidate will be directly employed by the individual and family. Consequently, the name of the employer is not published for confidentiality reasons. If you are interested in lending your skills and talents to making a real difference, submit your resume and application by (May 30th, 2015). (Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted) Email: firstname.lastname@example.org