We are seeking a part-time support worker (evenings and weekends). The individual will be responsible for providing support to a vibrant individual with a developmental disability to enable the individual to be a valued, contributing member of the community. This position involves regular communication and collaboration with the individual and the individual’s family as well as taking direction from the individual and family to ensure successful outcomes. The Support Worker will be responsible for supporting the development of skills and competencies that will assist the individual to pursue and fulfill their goals and aspirations. The Support Worker will be required to assist the individual in home, work/volunteer and community settings.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Assisting our family member in daily living skills and personal hygiene
- Assisting our family member in developing social skills and promoting the development of healthy relationships
- Assisting our family member to identify and participate in activities and interests in the community, where she can connect with others around a common area of interest i.e. recreational clubs, volunteer interests, associations
The ideal candidates will possess:
- A belief and commitment to inclusion, the right for all people to belong, participate and contribute to the community.
- An openness to learning new ideas
- The ability to work independently in unstructured environments and to employ effective time management skills
- Experience in working with individuals with behavioral challenges.
- Knowledge of mental health field
- The ability to think outside the box and develop ideas around employment and activities
- Excellent coaching skills with the knowledge of and ability to demonstrate and support the development of skills as they relate to social environments.
- A valid Class 5 driver’s license
- A reliable vehicle with applicable insurance
- Minimum of 2 years experience in the disability/mental health field
- A good sense of humor
- Good communication skills
- First Aid and CPR certification
- A criminal record check
- Mandarin would be a definite asset.
The applicants must be punctual, reliable and have the ability to exhibit a great deal of patience.
An industry competitive salary is offered. The family will directly employ the successful candidate. If you are interested in lending your skills and talents to making a real difference, submit your cover letter and resume by to email@example.com. (only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted)