UofC Navigation


What is Community Rehabilitation and Disability Studies?

Community Rehabilitation supports individuals and families affected by disabling conditions and chronic health concerns to live, learn, work, and participate in their communities. Community Rehabilitation includes the design, delivery and management of community-based services that offer short-term assistance and ongoing support. As such, Community Rehabilitation responds to the challenges of health, education, legal and social reform to empower individuals and communities.

Disability Studies is a field of study which challenges the traditional deficit-based "medical model" of disability and espouses a "social model" of disability. The social model argues that disability results from society's failure to adapt to the needs of impaired people.

In 1993 an official definition of disability studies was adopted by the Society for Disability Studies http://www.disstudies.org/, a professional organization of academics from around the world. The definition states that Disability Studies, among other things:

"examines the policies and practices of all societies to understand the social, rather than the physical or psychological determinants of the experience of disability. Disability Studies has been developed to disentangle impairments from the myths, ideology and stigma that influence social interaction and social policy. The scholarship challenges the idea that the economic and social statuses and the assigned roles of people with disabilities are the inevitable outcomes of their condition".

What does CORE stand for in the course name?

CORE is an acronym for COmmunity REhabilitation

How do I apply to the BCR program?

There are two applications that need to be completed in the application process. The U of C application needs to be filled out and the $125 application fee needs to be paid. Transcripts from high school and college (if applicable) need to be sent from the various institutions. The Community Rehabilitation; Letter of Intent needs to be completed if you are coming from an Approved Block Transfer Diploma program, a degree holder or change of program. Form 2 needs to be completed if you have a related diploma and want it to be reviewed for a block transfer. Deadline to apply for the fall is March 1st.

How do I register for classes once I am accepted into the program?

Registration for courses is done on-line through the my.ucalgary.ca website You can also check on this site for your registration date and time.

What courses should I take?

Students coming from high school (or Year 1) should take the following courses in the first two years:

CORE 205 (Fall), 207 (Winter), 209 (Fall), 485( Fall), 487 (Winter), CORE 321, and BIOL 205, plus 13 other option courses (PSYC 200 & PSYC 201 is highly recommended).

Diploma and university transfer students should refer to the BCR Student Planner for required courses. You must take 8 required CORE, senior rehab, health, senior social sciences and management options.

When are courses offered?

CRDS offers courses in fall, winter, and spring terms.

What does TBA mean on the course timetable?

TBA = to be announced. This is used for our online courses. It is also used for our on-campus courses for labs associated with them. For example our practicum courses have a tutorial scheduled and the lab component is arranged according to individual schedules for the practicum hours.

How do I know where courses are being offered?

You can see the CRDS time table on our website under the tab courses as well as all course outlines for each semester. You also search for courses via your student center.

Does Degree Navigator work for our degree?

Degree Navigator has difficulty providing an accurate summary of courses for diploma transfer students as it wants to start slotting your year 3 courses into a year 1 system. You can download the BCR Student Template under Current Students to track your degree progress.

How do I get credit for U of C prerequisites that I took as part of my diploma program (intro psychology, sociology, etc.)?

To have credit put on the system for prerequisite courses you took from other institutions, give Sarah Hawley a call at 220-2985 or e-mail sjhogan@ucalgary.ca and she can put up the credit on the system so you can register for courses requiring the prerequisite.